Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 19:01:59 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: just how many known viruses are there for FreeBSD?

Not entirely true.  A hacker group recently completed the winux virus
that is capable of infecting both the Linux and Windows OSs.  It is a
proof of concept virus, and IIRC, it is written entirely in assembly -
meaning that theoretically, it can infect pretty much any ix86 based
OS.

Search for winux on google - you will get about 2500 hits.  Mostly
hysteria though since the virus isn't terribly destructive - it just
demonstrates that it _can_ be done.

Lou

On 08/01/01 06:50 PM, Matthew Hagerty sat at the `puter and typed:
> Patrick,
>
> There are not really any "viruses" on UN*X systems, simply due to the
> nature of how a UN*X system works.  It is not like your normal desktop
> workstation, and there are certainly not (usually) novice users poking
> around on the box.  The security model that UN*X systems are built on makes
> it almost impossible for a program [virus] to do any kind of damage, so
> people don't waste their time trying to write UN*X viruses and simply
> concentrate on an easier platform... enter Windows.
>
> Viruses for a UN*X system are usually in the form of a human parasite known
> as a "cracker" or "script-kiddie" trying for breach your system and install
> a backdoor.
>
> As for convincing your boss, well, if he won't listen and trust his IT
> people then I would ask him what he hired you for?  I suppose you could
> throw up some names like Yahoo! and say "look, Yahoo! uses
> FreeBSD..."  Windows has its place, but being a high-volume secure web
> server is *not* one of them.
>
> Good luck,
> Matthew
>
> At 03:12 PM 8/1/2001 -0700, Patrick Simon wrote:
> >To whom it may concern,
> >
> >I am wondering (in order to convince my boss) about
> >the feasibility of using FreeBSD as a webserver
> >instead of Win2000 running IIS.
> >
> >In particular, I was wondering just how many known
> >viruses there are for FreeBSD.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Patrick.
> >
> >=====
> >"Some climb up among the rocks." - Jeremiah 4:29

Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Captain's Log, star date 21:34.5...