Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:02:27 -0600
From:      Laurence Sanford <lauasanf@wilderness.dyn.dhs.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Different OS's? Marketshare

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>There have been a few exceptions.  The Slackware site looked pretty
>spartan compared to most of the others.

I was converted to FreeBSD from Slackware. If you want to go Linux and
maintain the "freedom of configuration" you have with FreeBSD (ie, just
edit the text file, which is in a sensable spot) and get ...whatever it
is you hope to get from linux - don't get me wrong, Linux has a lot to
offer, I just can't personally think of anything it offers above and
beyond FreeBSD - Slackware would be the way to go in my opinion. But
that's holy war territory now, so I'll leave you with this: I switched
to FreeBSD from Slackware because of the ports/package system. They make
software installation so easy a Microsoft user could do it if they pay
attention.