Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 14:38:33 -0400
From:      "sagacious" <sagacious@unixhideout.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Help required for dynamic DNS home network, please

Take a look at my rc.conf for my server which you see as www.unixhideout.com
its behind a hardware firewall, router.

ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.1.20 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
hostname="labs"
inetd_enable="YES"
inetd_flags="-l -R 1024"
syslogd_flags="-ss -m 0"
kern_securelevel_enable="YES"
kern_securelevel="3"
ntpdate_enable="YES"
ntpdate_flags="ntp.nasa.gov"
sendmail_enable="YES"
linux_enable="YES"
named_enable="YES"
named_flags="-u bind -g bind -t /etc/namedb/sandbox"

I left the rest in as possibly you could learn from the other settings but
what we are focusing on is this,

"
ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.1.20 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
hostname="labs"
"

All thats doing is saying, use the DHCP server,however i want a static IP
one that wont change. If you do not know what ip your server is how will you
get to it, nevermind the internet! hehe. My router is 192.168.1.1, Try and
open your web browser to http://192.168.1.1 if you get your router, then
that is what you want for defaultrouter="192.168.1.1" in rc.conf, however
some routers assign the internal lan address differently. Just make changes
as needed. My network consists of 6 machines. Let me try and give you an
idea..

                192.168.1.1    .20    .30    .40    .50    .60    .70    .80
(evil internet)==|<router>|-server-client-client-client-client-client-client

Not a bad little diagram for someon who flunked art eh?

The router, accessible only from my lan has an ip of 192.168.1.1, then the
server is 192.168.1.20, the clients are 192.168.1.30, 192.168.1.40, etc.. I
simply port forward port 80 (http) using the option in my router, to
"192.168.1.20" Keep in mind you are using NATD, and i have no experience
with it. Im not sure how it differs. But im pretty sure its almost the same
type of thing, my router uses NAT, stateful packet inspection and all that
nasty junk we need now a days due to script kiddies. If im wrong by all
means someone correct me. I would hate to waste your time and mine.