Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:15:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>, <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>, <portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG>, <anholt@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: alpha port of XFree86-4-clients (xdm build fail)

Thanks for the advice -- Upon your advice, I did some checking and this
one is bootstrapped in the port itself -- it basically makes it's own
imake since imake is one of the X clients, kind of.

I've now found that a post unpack, pre-configure/build patch to

/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4-clients/work/xc/config/cf/Imake.tmpl

will do the trick and get the link right.  Patch as follows:

1645c1645
<      SHLIBLDFLAGS = SharedLibraryLoadFlags
---
>      SHLIBLDFLAGS = SharedLibraryLoadFlags -L$(USRLIBDIR)

I've just made a unified diff, making a patch-00 to put in the files
directory, and I'm figuring out how/where to get the ports build system to
apply the patch -- check the pr in a while for my 'official' patch :)

I'm still not 100% sure this is the right thing to do -- I'm not sure why
a .so worries or cares aobut resolved dependencies -- I've tried building
it without the dependencies and it fails.  When xdm dynamically loads
libXdmGreet.so it also has to dynamically load other X libs right?  So why
aren't the dependencies resolved at run time?    This also might
theoretically be a problem with the creation of the shared lib... shrug.
I'll have to go and look and see how it works on my x86 box...

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.