Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 11:59:53 -0700
From:      Orion Hodson <hodson@aciri.org>
To:        sobomax@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: " Making DMA buffer resizeable depending on audio speed/format "

Maxim

The sound driver interface provides the application writer the choice to set
the buffering they require.  This patch has obvious implications for the
ordering of ioctl's that we may not want to introduce.

I suspect (not insist :-) the two specific fixes you report are caused by:

	- mss maximum buffer size is too small (4096 bytes ~ 23 ms of CD quality
audio).  Your patch helps because you increase the default buffering to 16384
bytes.

	- digger relies on a sound library that does not always set the blocksize
(there are paths in the SDL audio code where this is the case, eg esd).  Your
patch helps because it sets the default buffer size smaller.

Increasing the default buffering is certainly an option we should consider.
However, any application that wants low latency should talk to the sound
device directly and use the existing ioctls to get this.  AFAIK, these work
very well, mail sound@freebsd.org if there are specific examples where this is
not the case.

Kind Regards
- Orion