Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:33:33 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>, Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/56729: [patch] artciles/pr-guidelines: explain meaning of MFC

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

On 2003.09.12 10:38:46 +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 11:31:08AM +0200, Christian Brueffer wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 02:20:16AM -0700, Ceri Davies wrote:
> > >
> > >  >  This is already covered in the FAQ.  I think if anything, a link =
should
> > >  >  suffice.
> > > =20
> > >  I agree that it doesn't need to be duplicated in that article (else =
we'd be
> > >  pretty much doing it in every article).
> > > =20
> > >  Perhaps we should have a FreeBSD glossary, where all relevant acrony=
ms and
> > >  terms are explained.  This could then be easily included at the end =
of
> > >  printed works, etc.  I'd be prepared to make a start on it, but I'd =
need
> > >  help for sure.
> >=20
> > Good idea, I'd also like to see something like this.  I'm not very fami=
liar
> > with the docbook infrastructure, what would be the best way to implemen=
t it?
>=20
> I'm not sure yet.  Doubtless there is already a method for doing it, but
> I'll need to check what the relevant elements, etc. are when I get home.

I also think this is a good idea.

As for doing it, I would look at how the bookinfo.legalnotice entity is
defined.  Basically :

The file doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/share/sgml/bookinfo.ent contains :

<!ENTITY bookinfo.legalnotice SYSTEM "legalnotice.sgml">

And then doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/share/sgml/legalnotice.sgml is the actual
text which is just included using "&bookinfo.legalnotice;".

I think it would be fairly simple to do something like this for a
glossary.

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team