Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 95 14:46 MET DST
From:      nils@guru.ims.uni-stuttgart.de (Cornelis van der Laan)
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: PS: Port of Exodus Storage Manager 3.1

Dear Satoshi

> Thanks, but it doesn't seem to compile here.  This is the errors I
> got on thud, a 2.0.5R (pretty much) machine:

My machine was installed lately from the 2.0.5 CD-ROM and I hadn't
time yet to change/break essential things :-)

(You can ignore the warnings about const.)

> ld -Bshareable -x -r `find error options include list lm pool trace util  -name "*.so" -print` \
>                 -o common.so
> ld: options/options.so: read_strings: premature end of file in strings
> dmake:  Error code 1, while making 'common.so'
> dmake:  Error code 255, while making 'workspace.mod.recursive'
> *** Error code 255

I don't understand this. Is it a linker fault or is the .so file
incorrect?

I don't really need the common.so file so I and you can omit its
generation or ignore the above error. I do need the correct shared
objects that should go into common.so, however.

The file would be used later to build libsm_client.so.1.0 like this:

  ld -Bshareable -o libsm_client.so.1.0 ../common/common.so */*.so

but this step fails because the linker failed to tag the common.so
as a proper dynamic object (the __DYNAMIC symbol would be 0 instead
of 2 or 3 whatever the Sun and the FreeBSD tag was) and hence fails
to link it into the library. This sequence of steps works flawlessly
on 1.1.5 and I filed a bug report gnu/655.

Nils
Cornelis van der Laan -- nils@ims.uni-stuttgart.de
                      -- nils@guru.stgt.sub.org
# echo echo Knusper Knusper Knaeuschen > /etc/nologin