Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 11:58:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        louie@TransSys.COM (Louis A. Mamakos)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Infrared ? (a simple experiment for laptop owners...)

In reply:
> > Did anyone see my last posting on this topic?
> >
> > These ports are ideal for AX.25!  HDLC/LAPB type protocols are well
> > documented.  IP can be tunneled easily, as a matter of fact there are
> > half-duplex TCP/IP networks all over the world using these protocols.
>
> AX.25 does a very simple CSMA channel access algorithm, but there
> is no collision detection done (or possible).  AX.25 exhibits worse

that is the purpose of the ack/nak sequences [rr] frames...

a level of pre-transmit collision prevention is done by monitoring the
squelch line or the tone detector for channel activity.

> yet you'll interfere with his transmission.)  The original implementations
> didn't do an exponential backoff (and I suspect many still don't) which
> produces a very entertaining congestive collapse of loaded channels.

exponential backoff has been pretty much de-facto standard since the
mid-eighties or so.

> There have been some attempts to improve the scheme - using full duplex

VERY expensive [$3000+ per node] given the nature of the communications...

> > If anyone is interested, if I remember correctly, I have a copy of the
> > AX.25 protocol available at my web page [see .sig]...  I can also
> > supply the LAPB docs.
>
> Implement an AX.25 if you want to talk to the existing RF systems, but
> you can do much better than this starting with a clean slate.  AX.25 was
> an experiment that escaped from the lab, and now the Amateur Radio

I can think of a few better [?] ways of doing things myself.  The
problem at hand right now is a similar one, how to take a half-duplex
serial link, and do something useful with it.  there seems to be no
point at this point to ask why they didn't specify a WDM/TDM solution to
provide full-duplex communications in the IrDA standard.  We are stuck
with half-duplex.

HDLC should be a common factor here, in amateur radio tcp/ip, only the
HDLC layer is used, with IP directly on top of that.

If async is not desired, then mebbe a TDM method would be more
appropiate, nice for a finite number of nodes...

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or