Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:30:37 +1000
From:      "Tim McCullagh" <timbo@halenet.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Install of FreeBSD 4.2 hangs at plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0

Hi

I have seen in the archives that a number of people have had similar trouble
as I am experiencing.

Each time I try and load 4.2 on a machine that happily installs 4.1 it hangs
at the line
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0

I have installed 4.2 onto the same HDD on another machine with no worries,
and for thre sake of it I put a clean install with a generic kernel into the
machine and it still hangs at the same point

My configuration is a Gigabyte BX dual processor mainboard.   I have changed
every other piece of hardware in the machine  from standard NE2000 to PCI
realteck and intel network cards.  I have changed the RAM 3 times as well as
the HDD's.   Given that the same machine happily installs 4.1 and that I
have changed all the hardware except the main board I was wondering if
anyone had experienced the same problem and found a solution

Thanks in Advance

Tim