Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:00:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Leimbach <leimy2k@mac.com>
To:        hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Error in example for Kernel module....

On Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002, at 01:02PM, Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com> wrote:

>--- John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> > This is probably minor...
>>
>> You can use printf in the kernel directly.
>
>I think he was trying to say, that there are only two occurences of
>printf(), i.e. 'Echo device loaded/unloaded', so might as well convert
>them to uprintf() for consistency -- or the other way round.  I like
>that former, but I dont have authority. :)

Sorry for my terseness.  I am sure that caused confusion.  The consistency is part of the
comment.  The other part has to do with the fact that uprintf displays information on the
console.  Since these are debugging messages for newbie kernel hackers like myself
it seemed appropriate to give the user immediate feedback.

Either that or use printf and redirect the user to the system logs which is where I think that
output ends up.

I made an earlier comment about these not being quite FBSD 5.0 compliant with the function
protoypes for read/write since we now have thread *'s instead of proc *'s.

Overall I am very impressed with the quality of the documentation the FreeBSD project has
compared to other open sourced efforts.  I am just trying to help :).

Dave