Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:03:28 +0000
From:      Chris <chrcoluk@gmail.com>
To:        "Jeffrey Goldberg" <jeffrey@goldmark.org>
Cc:        Dwight Smith <dsmith_60@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Future of FreeBSD 7.0 and up

On 01/03/07, Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org> wrote:
> On Feb 28, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Dwight Smith wrote:
>
> > I guess my question is that will the ease of building or installing
> > software for FreeBSD ever streamline to where you do not have to do
> > as many steps and text config file entries?
>
> I've recently moved back to BSD from more than a decade of linux.
> What I found most frustrating about the Linux distributions I've used
> is the multiple layers of configuration tools.  There never seemed to
> be a single layer at which I could do everything, and these layers of
> admin tools would step on other layers.
>
> So for me, editing text config files is a great relief.  But tastes
> differ.
>
> While it took me a few days to get my head round the system, I find
> software installation though ports more pleasant on FreeBSD then I
> ever did with Linux RPMs.
>
> So, I can only speak for myself and without much new experience with
> FreeBSD (I had used NetBSD back in 1996), but I find the software
> installation and configuration steps easier under FreeBSD.
>
> But maybe I and most other FreeBSD users are unusual.  I've used
> apache from back when it was NCSA; so for me the apache configuration
> file is something I'm comfortable with (though it has changed a great
> deal over the years).  Likewise for a large number of other things I
> may wish to run.
>
> Maybe today's sysadms aren't familiar with all of these sorts of
> configuration files, and so being presented with configuring them
> directly is daunting.  And so maybe for them higher level
> administration tools are useful.
>
> So these people should start off with
>
>  cd /usr/ports/sysutils/webmin
>
>  make install
>
> It really isn't hard.
>

> > I only ask this question as I would like to see FreeBSD get the
> > same recognition as Linux as FreeBSD is a powerful OS that should
> > not be overshadowed.
>
> Well, you could talk to some venture capitalists and create a Red Hat
> equivalent for FreeBSD.  I guess it should be called "Red Devil" if
> that doesn't step on too many trademarks.
>
> I don't think that FreeBSD people should be too upset that Linux
> happens to be the free Unix-like system that is in the limelight.
> It's just the way things turned out.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -j

I agree with most with whats been said here, I expect he typically
uses linux and then finds freebsd uncomfortable to use, he may have a
point with the hardware compatability but thats about it.  For a
neutral perspective tho someone who hasnt used linux or freebsd would
probably find freebsd easier to learn.  Its more organised layout with
its directories, the ports system is much more reliable then the
dependency hell you get on linux and easier to configure.

Chris