Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:05:49 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander Litvin <archer@lucky.net>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: deadlock in vm_fault()

In article <199809232224.SAA17260@lor.watermarkgroup.com> you wrote:
LC> I ran into a deadlock in vm_fault code today while making -j12 world.
LC> It's caused by a reversed lock acquisition order. The normal order of
LC> acquisition is vm map lock first and vnode lock next (if the fault is in
LC> a vnode backed object). During the course of the fault handling, lock on
LC> the vm map is released prior to paging io and has to be reacquired if it's
LC> modified by another process during the io. Before reacquiring the lock of
LC> vm map, we have to release the vnode lock we still hold, otherwise another
LC> page fault in the same map/vnode would send us into a deadlock.

LC> Attached is a fix for this problem. Would any of the vm/lock experts out
LC> there review this? Thanks.

I've seen something strange during the same -j12 buildworld. In fact,
it was just that ld hang, apparently not doing anything. The rest
of the system seemed to be alive. Though in some 3 or 4 hours machine
rebooted (it had kernel with broken crash dump generation, so I do
not know what actually happened).

May it be related?

LC> -lq

---
Reality is an obstacle to hallucination.