Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:52:00 -0700
From:      Tyler Durden <Tyler@projectmayhem.info>
To:        Free BSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sysinstall questions

Hello all,

I have used /stand/sysinstall to install various packages through ftp.

I am now interested in installing newer versions of the packages and would
like to continue using sysinstall to do so.

However, if I try to access the current list of packages through ftp in
sysinstall, I get the same list of packages that I got the first time that I
tried this.

In sysinstall, I go through: Configure>Packages>FTP>(choose an ftp
site)>(confirm network)>(it says that it is receiving index)>(I get a list
of directories. But the packages contained within are same old list that
I've seen time after time. It would seem to me that this procedure should
produce the current directories of the packages.

Is there a way to refresh this list? I know that there are newer packages
available on the ftp site (I've poked around the directories with an ftp
client and found them). But for some reason, sysinstall always gives me the
same list. What am I doing wrong?

If sysinstall won't update this list, I think I've found the alternative
procedure of ftp'ing the package, and using pkg_add (but I am much more
comfortable using sysinstall if I can. The command line interface still
frightens this newbie).

Secondary question: Do I have to remove a previous package before I install
a newer one? Or does the new package simply install on top of the old
installation without problems?

Thanks for being patient with my newbie questions! :-)

P.S.-I've tried to send this message several times and it has yet to get
through to the list (yet when I use the same account and send it to another
list, it comes through almost immediately). Are certain domains being
blocked, or is there another issue here?

If this message gets through, please respond on list, as I have yet to
figure out how to get the pop functions working on my FreeBSD box (which is
what I am sending this through, in the hope that it gets through).

Jim
Jim Krenz
unixverse@mac.com