Date:      Thu, 08 Dec 2011 22:56:32 +0200
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: docs/163102: linprocfs mounted in wrong location in Handbook

On 8/12/2011 10:29 μμ, John Baldwin wrote:
> On 12/8/11 1:57 PM, Sergey Kandaurov wrote:
>>
>> Also from man hier:
>>
>>       /compat/   normally a link to /usr/compat.  If not, then the
>> /usr/compat
>>                  comments apply (created by sysinstall(8))
>> /usr/compat/   files needed to support binary compatibility with
>>                            other operating systems, such as Linux
>> (created by
>>                            sysinstall(8))
>
> I would be fine with removing the /usr/compat entry from this manpage
> and moving its description to the /compat entry.  I would drop mention
> of sysinstall(8), and maybe add a note to say that /compat is typically
> a symlink to /usr/compat (though that will not be true on a 9.0
> machine).  I guess it was left out of bsdinstall due to the one big /
> layout, but for users who use a custom layout (e.g. myself, I don't like
> one big /), it might be nice if bsdinstall did this rather than forcing
> users to have to remember this detail.

Probably correct, for users opting to go with the traditional
partitioning scheme, / may prove to be too small when linux_base gets
installed. It would be best if bsdinstall creates the link for /compat.

> Does bsdinstall always make
> /home a symlink to /usr/home to support custom layouts?  If so, it
> should apply the same logic to /compat.  It might be nice if it could
> "notice" that /usr is separate and auto-create /compat and /home links
> in that case if it is currently doing nothing for /home.

As a matter of fact, bsdinstall will not create /home at all if you
don't create a user during install. But if you opt to create a user,
adduser(8) is called and it actually creates both /usr/home and the
/home link. So in short yes, we still have /usr/home and the /home
symlink, but it is not directly created by bsdinstall.