Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:34:40 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Robert John Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xwindows has stopped working

The simple solution is probably to reboot.

This general message used to come up with moderate frequency years ago on my
Linux machine, and it meant that I'd run out of resources (usually tasks or
file  handles; sometimes memory, perhaps) . . .  Not sure if the errno was 2,
though: I thought that was one.  In any case, to look up errnos, just do

man errno

2 is "No such file or directory" . . . which probably means that you can
ignore my first paragraph there . . . something isn't where it should be, but
guessing what is missing is difficult.

I would remove the xdm/kdm setup, however you did that (most common approch
is to set the default run level form 3 to 5, so reverse it back to 3).  Then
you can start up the server by hand and you'll get much more helpful
diagnostics where you can easily find them.

In general, walking (line-mode, bring up X by hand a few times) before
running is a good idea . . .