Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 22:15:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@ican.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should this port go in ?

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> I'm forced to agree with Chuck - I don't see where the dynamic PLIST behavior
> makes sense in a port where no such dynamism is required, and anyone else
> looking at this port is going to be left wondering just why it's so darn
> complicated.  The dynamic PLIST file is still a reasonable idea, and one I'd
> use if the port had a highly interactive install which selectively copied only
> certain components of the port into place.  Then you could conceivably use one
> port to generate several different packages, each with a slightly different
> intended audience.  Just don't fall in love with the idea so much that you
> start obfuscating ports unnecessarily - that's all I'm asking! :)

What about the issue of compressed vs. uncompressed manpages ?  To solve
this, I could just make two PLISTS in ${FILESDIR}, and based on the
variable NOMANCOMPRESS copy one or the other into ${PKGDIR} before the
install was registered.  Acceptable ?

I agree with both of you on the complexity of the Makefile.  It's damn
ugly looking at it a couple of hours later.  Ah, how the youthful glow
does dim.  I'll save it for ports that need it.

--
j.

| James FitzGibbon				            james@ican.net |
| Internet Canada Corp.                       Voice/Fax: 416-363-8518/8713 |