Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:53:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mike Shaver: Netscape gives away source code for Communicator

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> I would be suprised if they used the GPL as is.  It is also true
> that the freely available source part of this announcement is
> nothing more than hype until it is done.  "building on the heritage"
> could mean allowing somewhat similar things yet "building" a _new_
> licence.

I read it the same as you, and was just going back to read NETSCAPES FAQ
again to make sure i read it right. The only place i saw reference to it
using the GPL was in one of the many online news resources, either in
wired, or tech web, etc..

But netscapes actual FAQ states that as you said above, it will be
released on a license SIMILAR to GPL, But that the licensing won't be
finalized until 5.0 is out. According to the FAQ anyway.
And i'm guessing they stated GPL simply because it's probably more well
known than saying "BSD license", or "Insert favorite license here".

We won't know for sure until 5.0 is out though.

--

===================================| Open Systems Networking And Consulting.
  FreeBSD 2.2.5 is available now!  | Phone: 316-326-6800