Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:19:06 +0200
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        Robert Davison <rob_27_preston@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        Freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thin Terminals

Robert Davison wrote:
> I've been looking at the Sun Ray terminals and like the idea of using thin clients to connect to the main server to run apps. Are they any programms in thr ports which allow a similar set-up using FreeBSD. I know you can do this with X but would need a tutorial to help me through it.

I think the common solution today is diskless clients where the server
is merely a fileserver and the applications actually run on the client.

I do not know which scales better - the diskless may cause more network
traffic as applications are read but do not continuously communicate
with the server. With diskless you need less processing power on the
server, but the total processing power may be higher with less utilization.

You can build diskless and silent clients with Mini-ITX boards from VIA
at a reasonable price. The advantage is that you will have everything in
common i386/FreeBSD working environment.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt