Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:12:36 -0600
From:      "Michael G. Goodell" <michael2043@comcast.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Last Question On Which Release Is Best For Production

First of all, Thank you to those who replied to my original post about which
FreeBSD Release is the most stable for a production system. I would still
like to ask for clarification on one last item.

Almost invariably the reply to my post asking which FreeBSD release is *the*
most stable for a production environment was 4.10 is *the* best choice for a
production system and that I could wait for 5.3 to become marked as STABLE
in the coming months. I assume this information is taken from:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/index.html that shows 5.2.1 and 4.10 as the
two releases.

My question is this: I currently run 5.1 (uname -a yields: 5.1-RELEASE-p17)
and I read at the page http://www.freebsd.org/releng/index.html it states
that 5.1 is Frozen and also states (not officially supported) - Does this
mean that I am using a release that is not supported at all any longer and I
should upgrade to 5.3 or will my 5.1 release still have security patches and
such applied to it and eventually become production worthy. Am I just
missing out on functionality by sticking with 5.1 and not moving up to 5.3?
Moreover, *if* I choose to move to 5.3 (when it is ready for prime time) can
I change my cvsupfile and then rebuild my kernel and world to the new 5.3
release?

Thanks,

Michael