Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 05:37:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@regency.nsu.ru>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha clock.c

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

:Jamie Bowden said on May 21, 2002 at 05:21:10:
:>
:> :Terry Lambert said on May 21, 2002 at 02:16:28:
:> :> > I don't think there's room for confusion: if I say (in whatever
:> :> > language) "I'm sending you an email" it is clear what I mean.
:> :>
:> :> You are sending us a material used to glaze ceramics?
:> :
:> :Fewer and better one-liners, please...
:>
:> How about we just nitpick your grammar instead?  you wouldn't say "I'm
:> sending you an mail,"
:
:An obvious objection being that "mail" begins with a consonant.  That
:apart,
:
:> and it's just as inappropriate a usage with
:> reference to electronic mail.
:
:What would you say?  "I'm sending you a letter by email"?  Give me a
:break.  "Email" (unlike "mail") is accepted as a noun for a single
:item being transmitted.  Even Merriam-Webster agrees with that, though
:it doesn't agree with the spelling:
:
:http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=E-mail

I'm sending you a parcel of (e)mail.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"