Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:52:58 -0600
From:      Bill Hamilton <billh@finsco.com>
To:        "Mark S. Reichman" <mark@borg.com>
Cc:        ZorkLord <zorklord@xtreme.net.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What version?

Related to that subject ...
I recently installed 2.2.7 from the net and built a custom kernel.
I'm quite happy with it so far and was thinking of
buying the 3.0 cd. I'm not running a server right now and have
no plans for that in the near future. The boot drive is a scsi
which is the second drive.
My questions are:
1. Would it be better to do an "upgrade" install, or backup some
config files and just install from scratch? If you do an upgrade
install is it possible to get into a situation where you can't
boot at all due to kernel differences?
2. Would I need to cvsup right after the install to get bugs fixed
that exist on the release cd? Again assuming no server - just internet
connectivity issues.
3. Is the aout-to-elf conversion mandatory? Hazardous?