Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2012 16:42:06 -0700
From:      <dteske@freebsd.org>
To:        "'Robin, Michael'" <robin@chapman.edu>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        dteske@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: text editor

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Robin, Michael [mailto:robin@chapman.edu]
> Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:42 PM
> To: 'dteske@freebsd.org'; freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: RE: text editor
>
> What is VIM?

A _much_ improved version of "vi" (vi is the ubiquitous UNIX text editor written
by Bill Joy in 1976), vim itself being born in 1991 by a man named Bram
Moolenaar.

> Where could it be downloaded?

As Polytropon mentioned, FreeBSD has a built-in software acquisition system.

Executing:

	pkg_add -r vim

will install the VIM text editor (immediately after-which you can type "rehash"
-- if using [t]csh -- and then "vim FILE" to start editing files).

However, I recognize the need to sometimes "know where your food comes from," so
below are some links.

NOTE: You need to know what version of FreeBSD you're using...

For recent versions of FreeBSD:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/

For older versions of FreeBSD:
ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/

Then under there, you'll have to select "i386" for 32-bit builds, or "amd64" for
64-bit builds (etc.).

Then under there, you'll have to select your appropriate version (e.g.,
"8.1-RELEASE").

Then under there, you'll navigate to "packages" then either "All" or a specific
sub-category.

In there, you'll find "vim-VERSION" (ending in either ".tgz", ".tbz", or ".txz",
depending on your version of FreeBSD; mind you the suffix matters not to your
ability to install the software).

You'll also find "gvim-VERSION" there too.

Please keep in-mind that this is _NOT_ the recommended way of electively
installing software on FreeBSD. I'm merely explaining this so that you know
where software for FreeBSD comes from (loosely; I'm leaving out a lot and
choosing to focus on the consumer-side of things for the benefit of clarity).

> What is CLI?

Before Windows and Apple, computers were told what to do without a mouse. This
interface was called "the command line." It has a very rich history and is still
common-place in server environments.

>  I am looking for GUI/command prompt text editor for Windows 7/8.

I'd recommend getting to know something called "Cygwin". It will allow you to
run software such as VIM on Windows.

The main website for Cygwin is:
http://cygwin.com/

You can even run gVIM (the graphical version of VIM designed to run in the GUI)
on Windows.

Surely, you can run special versions of VIM on Windows _without_ Cygwin (link
below), but I recommend Cygwin if you're going to program on UNIX at all
(conflating your Windows environment with a UNIX-compatible environment is a
convenience that many find helpful in making work more efficient).

[g]VIM for MS-DOS and/or MS-Windows:
http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

NOTE: There are downloads for self-installing executables for added convenience.

> The notepad plus program lacks start/end block setting option even though it
> have a lot of hot keys.  My top priority is setting start/end block option
which was
> available for old DOS-based text editor, but I have not seen any window-based
> text editor for this option.  16-bit DOS text editor program will not run on
64-bit
> operating system.

Have you tried compatibility mode? Win7 has a compatibility mode that it can run
executables in. I think it has a compat mode that will run 16-bit DOS programs,
but I must admit that I've not tried.
--
Devin

> Please advise.
> Thank you.
>
> Michael
> Programmer Analyst

If
> you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all
copies;
> (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii)
notify