Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:33:20 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        oscentral@usa.net (Rod Taylor)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ne2000 PCI Card

Rod Taylor writes:
 > I have 2 cheap 100mbit nics (rj45 only).  Both use the ReaTek 8139 chipset
 > (from the best that I can tell).  Both are PCI.
 >
 > I've attempted to use both cards in several PCI slots, under 2.2.8 and 3.0
 > boot floppies, and a 3.0-stable (updated 2 days ago).  None of these
 > releases found either card in any situation.
 >
 > I believe the card should be detected as Ed0 (possibly ed1).  I have used
 > 3com pci cards in both machines under freebsd sucessfully and the ne2000
 > cards function under windows and os/2.

The RealTek 8139 chipset is supported with the rl0 driver, and has
been supported since 3.0 was released.  Bill Paul is the maintainer of
the driver.  I think the GENERIC kernel should have been able to find
them.  I've got a 8139 based NIC, and I have no complaints about its
performance at 10 Mbps, but it's a real dog at 100 Mbps.  I'm only
able to achieve 45-50 Mbps throughput with a dual P6-200 machine, and
it uses nearly 30% of the CPU to do it.