Date:      Thu, 5 May 2005 13:50:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <freebsd@philip.pjkh.com>
To:        Fafa Hafiz Krantz <fteg@london.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System clean-up tool / technique?

> Hey.
>
> I am a very meticulous person.
> I try to keep my systems as clean as possible.
>
> I was wondering that others like me out there do to keep their
> systems clean for stale files and files with no reference to
> either the system, its ports and its users.

The portupgrade port will install portsclean which can clean up working
directories and remove distfiles that aren't referenced by any installed
port.

There's another port* command I can't recall the name of that will list
ports that are not required by any other port which you can then decide if
you want to remove.  Might be an option to pkg_info, I really don't
remember.

-philip