Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:37:27 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: When is FreeBSD going to work properly with KVM switches?

> Date: 16 Jul 2002 18:07:12 -0700
> From: Steve Wingate <steve@velosystems.net>
>
> On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 10:33, paleph@pacbell.net wrote:
> >
> > I also have the problem that the KVM must be set to the machine being booted
> > in order for the mouse and keyboard to work properly. This is a know problem
> > and there was discussion on it. The problem seems to have appeared with 4.2.
> > I saw a fix in the freebsd-stable archives:
> >
> >    Message: 4695118,
> >    FROM: John Baldwin,
> >    DATE: 11/20/2000 16:43:35
> >    SUBJECT: RE:  4.2 Showstopper? Belkin KVM switch problems with FreeBSD 4.2
> >
> > Basically the proposed solution was to remove the `flags 0x1' from the
> > atkbd0 device line in the i386/conf/file
> >
> > This fixed the problem I was having with the Omni Cube 4-Port. I have
> > not checked if this problem still occurs with 4.6.
> >

> Actually, if one searches through the archives you'll find the mouse/kvm
> issue dates back to the 3.x days. Apparently it isn't a high priority so
> I wouldn't hold my breath for an always working fix.

I really really really wouldn't be so quick to assume the problem is
FreeBSD.  In my experience, Belkin's are not very good KVMs, I won't
use them any more, personally.  I've had problems with them not
correctly initializing keyboard or mouse ports with Windows as well.
Never had a problem with FreeBSD and KVM switches, personally.

If you want a good KVM, stick with either Avocent (my personal
preference - used to be Cybex and Apex), Raritan, Rose, or one of the
companies that OEMs the Avocent switches. (ie Compaq, HP, Dell) The
cheapo KVMs are cheap for a reason.

(Then you've got "RichardH" saying Belkin's are overpriced, LOL..
well I never tried D-link KVMs, maybe they're OK for a cheapo
model :-)

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium