Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:11:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
To:        Nelis Lamprecht <nelis@brabys.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as Desktop OS with support for Windows

> I want to use FreeBSD as my desktop OS with Gnome but I still need to do
> Windows luser support. I have installed Gnome 2 on FreeBSD 4.7 Stable
> and now I'm trying to figure out what is the best solution. Does the
> Vmware port still work and or should I just install Samba and which
> Office Software would be best suited to use that is compatible with MS
> Word and Exel ? I know of Openoffice, Gnomeoffice and Staroffice but
> have had no experience using either.

Samba is only for Windows "Network Neighborhood" support... meaning that
it allows FreeBSD to show up on a windows network. As far as I know if you
have the vmware software the port should still work, but I don't know if
it can download the vmware stuff from anywhere. If you get vmware working
you can just use ms office inside the virtual machine... I'm not sure
which of the office packages you listed works the best... but I've had
pretty good experience with koffice being able to open most .doc files.

Ken