Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2008 13:22:47 +0200
From:      KES <kes-kes@yandex.ru>
To:        "David Weintraub" <qazwart@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, users@subversion.tigris.org
Subject:   Re[2]: can not start SVNserve

Здравствуйте, David.

I have
home# uname -a
FreeBSD home.kes.net.ua 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #0: Tue Aug 12 02:11:24 EEST 2008     kes@kes.net.ua:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KES_KERN_v7  i386
on this machine sveserve startsup normally

>My confusion comes from the output of PW
home# pw user show svn
svn:*:1003:1002::0:0:SVN user:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin
pw is utility to edit /etc/master.passwd
home# cat /etc/master.passwd | grep svn
svn:*:1003:1002::0:0:SVN user:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin

>showing me that user "svn" is a valid user
'svn' user is valid user

>Have you tried changing the "svn" user shell to /bin/bash
telling this:
.... :/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin
I point that anyone can not use this user to login to system. But
because of 'svn' is valid system user process can low his right to
'svn' user

On this HOME machine when I try run svnserve it is runned despite on 'su svn'
can not login me:
home# su svn
This account is currently not available.
home# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/svnserve start
Starting svnserve.
home# ps ax|grep svn
34209  ??  Ss     0:00,00 /usr/local/bin/svnserve -d --listen-port=3690 -r /usr
34211  p0  S+     0:00,00 grep svn

But on other machine with same user I can not start svnserver
kes# pw user show svn
svn:*:1005:1005::0:0:SVN user:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin
kes# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/svnserve start
Starting svnserve.
su: Sorry

kes# pw user mod svn -s /bin/bash
kes# pw user show svn
svn:*:1005:1005::0:0:SVN user:/nonexistent:/bin/bash
kes# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/svnserve start
Starting svnserve.
su: Sorry

DW> Have you tried changing the "svn" user shell to /bin/bash and see if
DW> your startup script is working.
the differences between this machines only are next:
home# svnserve --version
svnserve, version 1.5.1 (r32289)
   compiled Aug  3 2008, 00:10:41
home# uname -a
FreeBSD home.kes.net.ua 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #0: Tue Aug 12 02:11:24 EEST 2008     kes@kes.net.ua:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KES_KERN_v7  i386

and
kes# svnserve --version
svnserve, version 1.5.2 (r32768)
   compiled Oct  8 2008, 21:55:55

kes# uname -a
FreeBSD kes.net.ua 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #: Sun Nov 23 17:19:12 EET 2008     kes@home.kes.net.ua:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KES_KERN_v7  i386

DW> It would be helpful if you explained your system, setup, what you were
DW> doing, and the results instead of simply showing us the output of a
DW> couple of commands. It is hard to figure out exactly what you are
DW> trying to do and what you have done.
I try to run 'svnserve'. I just install svnserver and add user svn to
run svnserve under. I do same things on 'kes' as on 'home' machine.