Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 21:00:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        jerry.alexandratos@perspectives.net, jlemon@americantv.com, ctapang@easystreet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSDBOOT.EXE

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Luoqi Chen wrote:

> > Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com> says:
> > :
> > : Not true.  VM86 is also required to support VESA.  Also, it is used
> > : for reliable memory detection (which is why I want to make it mandatory).
> > : No more "My Stinkpad only detected 64M, what do I do now??!" questions.
> >
> > Actually, even with VM86, the kernel still doesn't correctly detect the
> > StinkPad's memory.
> >
> >         --Jerry
> >
> > name:  Jerry Alexandratos         ||  Open-Source software isn't a
> > phone: 302.521.1018               ||  matter of life or death...
> > email: jalexand@perspectives.net  ||  ...It's much more important
> >                                   ||  than that!
>
> It just occurred to me that we might be able to use initial MTRR settings
> by BIOS for memory detection (P6 and above, of course). Don't know how
> reliable that is.

And K6-family processors with newer BIOSes are usually write allocate-enabled
and that can be used too.

> -lq

 Brian Feldman                _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org                _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!      _ __ | _ \ _ \ |) |
         http://www.freebsd.org           _ |___)___/___/