Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:49:33 -0500
From:      Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Porstdb -uU Continues to Fail?

Hello,

I run FreeBSD 4.8 RELEASE-p13 0#.  Just ran:
     /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 -z /etc/cvsupfile &&
/usr/local/sbin/portsdb -uU

CVSup ran successfully but portsdb -uU seemed to have a problem.  Following
is the output:

Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait..
===> net/tkabbe r failed: make: illegal option -- C
usage: make [-Beiknqrstv] [-D variable] [-d flags] [-E variable] [-f
makefile]
            [-I directory] [-j max_jobs] [-m directory] [-V variable]
            [variable=value] [target ...]
"Makefile", line 17: warning: "make -C
/usr/ports/net/tkabber/../../devel/tcllib
 -V PORTVERSION" returned non-zero status
===> security/portaudit failed:
"Makefile", line 23: warning: "/usr/sbin/pkg_info -qP 2>/dev/null" returned
non- zero status
    Done.
done

The archives reported a number of problems recently with portsdb but
I didn't see any reflecting this error message.  If the problems is on-going
and make index:
       cd /usr/ports
       make index
is the solution please let me know and I'll try that.

Secondly, I'm not an experience systems administrator or hacker and would
like to know which of the commands, make index or portsdb -uU is most
reliable?

Thanks,
Bob Perry

--