Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 16:19:13 +0000
From:      CA <Cal13@SoftHome.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG;
Subject:   unable to gethostbyname("")

Hello,

I have a question. I have a FreeBSD 4.0 Release and I can't get my apache
working. I'm a single user - I don't have a network, only dial-up. I have both
FreeBSD and Linux installed and apache in Linux works. The starting script for
apache says this: [alert] mod_unique_id: unable to gethostbyname(""), so I can't
get httpd to run.

I read your mailing lists but didn't find a solution that works for me. I compared
/etc/hosts and /etc/resolve.conf with Linux and they seem to be almost identical.
In resolve.conf in FreeBSD i have "hosts" and in resolve.conf I have my local host
specified with 127.0.0.1 number.

I need this information because I plan to install FreeBSD later on some systems.

Sincerely,
freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG George