Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 2003 22:40:10 +0100
From:      "=?iso-8859-2?q?Tam=E1s?= R." <freddy@lamer.hu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        freddy@lamer.hu
Subject:   FreeBSD-CURRENT kernel hangs on starting KDE

Hi,

Some months ago I installed a FreeBSD-current system on my desktop computer=
=2E I use the KDE
desktop environment and I compiled really everything from ports. I periodic=
ally maintain it so my
system is up-to-date. I have been experiencing a problem with FreeBSD-curre=
nt kernel all the time.
Some months ago I tried to compile a custom kernel based on GENERIC comment=
ing out the not
necessary hardwares from my config, like RAID and most of NICs, etc. (I thi=
nk it is a general thing
when customizing). Although I haven't tested it too much the kernel booted =
properly and everything
worked good in console. Trying to start KDE caused system crash (I guess in=
 kernel level). I have
spent long days to find the reason trying almost all combination of kernel =
config settings without luck.
Ok, but GENERIC is worked with some custom lines added to it (but I couldn'=
t remove anything
except debugging). Since 25th of September something changed in the current=
 kernel source tree
because I am not able to compile any kernel, even GENERIC, with which KDE w=
ould start without
freezing the whole machine partly or completely. Unfortunately I did not pr=
eserve any earlier source
tree version, I just upgraded it with cvsup before the compilations. Now I =
use a newer base system
than the kernel, which results in an unstable operation (it is normal I gue=
ss), because I only preserved
the lastest goog-working /boot/kernel binaries I compiled before.

"KDE freezing" in detail
=2D---------------------------------
System: FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT i386

Relevant hardware config:
Mainboard  : ASUS P4S533-E (SIS645DX north, SIS962/L south bridges)
Memory     : PC2700 512MB DDR RAM (memtest86 tested)
VGA card   : ATI RADEON 9000 PRO

Very recent FreeBSD-current GENERIC kernel (was compiled exaclty as describ=
ed in the handbook)
completely freezes some seconds later after starting KDE. Input peripherial=
s/ACPI button become unusable
and the machine does not respond to ICMP on LAN so it completely hangs. It =
is not thought a hardware failure
because earlier kernel with the same config (synced with cvsup on 25th Sept=
=2E 2003) works very good. KDE
and XFree86 were compiled from the lastest ports so they are up-to-date. Lo=
gs does not show any usable
information related to this freezing so I think there is no point to attach=
 any of them here (XFree86 just stops
logging before some radeondrm messages would be logged in normal case). I g=
uess so it is closely an ATI-driver
related problem because when I tested the same base system/kernel with an S=
3Trio VGA card that worked
and the ATI did not. This ATI is a common card (with dual head+tv output) a=
nd not a cheap one at all (I currently
use it on other OS-es on the same machine without experiencing any problems=
).

Since I have been experiencing these problems I sync my source tree more ti=
mes a week and I'm trying to compile
a working kernel without luck.

Note: If I switch back to console immediately after X server started and be=
fore KDE begins to initialize then KDE
starts up properly. When I go back to X again I see the desktop as everythi=
ng would be right. Some seconds later
the same freezing takes place. First the keyboard blocks, then the mouse st=
arts clogging and the whole machine
totally hangs.

I would appreciate any help in connection with this problem's solution.

Thanks in advance,
Tam=E1s R.