Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:50:43 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
Subject:   Re: The beastie boot menu.

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 08:09 pm, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> --On Tuesday, November 30, 2004 10:28 AM +0100 Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav
>
> <des@des.no> wrote:
> > "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net> writes:
> >> The beastie menu is just another level of complexity.  It has very
> >> little to do with anything.  I had to learn about Forth in order to
> >> figure out how to turn it off.
> >
> > You can't have learned much if you think
> >
> ># echo 'beastie_disable=3D"YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf
> >
> > has anything to do with Forth.
>
> The point was that the boot menu doesn't add anything to the usability and
> that in at least one case, it was an unwelcome distraction.  The deletion
> of the menu is of little significance to regular users.  I didn't even kn=
ow
> such a thing existed until I recently did my first work on the console in
> several years.  In fact, I haven't even looked to see if my remaining 4X
> boxes have this menu. If I would have done my upgrade to 5X yesterday
> rather than a month ago, I would never have known that the darned thing
> ever appeared in the system.
>
> It's just not important, not even to regular users.  The claim that FreeB=
SD
> is not suitable to regular users because the beastie menu is gone is sill=
y.

You must not have any systems where ACPI or the APIC support is broken.  Fo=
r=20
people with those issues and those of us who work with them to debug those=
=20
issues, the menu was a large step forward in usability.  For my personal te=
st=20
machines I simply added 'beastie_disable=3DYES' to /boot/loader.conf.  Not =
a=20
major deal to turn it off if you don't want it.

=2D-=20
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve"  =3D  http://www.FreeBSD.org