Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:40:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Banning <sky_tracker@yahoo.com>
To:        Sunil Sunder Raj <unixtools@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't login as anyone - not even as root!

Thanks, Sunil for the steps, but I have tried that already.

When I get to the # prompt in single user mode, I cannot use
the passwd command. I get the error;;

passwd: error opening database: /etc/pwd.db: Permission denied
passwd: /etc/master.passwd: unchanged

and permissions are as follows;

# ls -tld /etc
drwxr-xr-x  17  root  wheel  2560  Aug 28 09:16 /etc

# ls -tld /etc/pwd.db
drw---r-- 1 root wheeel  40960 Aug 28 09:12 /etc/pwd.db

I -can- execute vipw and change passwords. It updates all the files
master.passwd, spwd.db, passwd, and pwd.db without error.