Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 1996 08:44:56 +1100
From:      Mike Nielsen <miken@zip.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding file systems to a new slice

When I first installed FreeBSD on my 1.6Gb disk, I had a 300Mb dos
partition.  Subsequently, I added a 2nd hard disk, and moved most of the
dos stuff over to it.  I thus wanted to reduce to a minimum the dos
slice, and put a FreeBSD filesystem in the remaining space.

Here's where I've gotten to so far:

bash# fdisk /dev/wd0
******* Working on device /dev/wd0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=3158 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

 Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=3158 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 0 is:
sysid 4,(Primary DOS with 16 bit FAT)
    start 63, size 61425 (29 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
        end: cyl 60/ sector 63/ head 15
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 616896, size 2566368 (1253 Meg), flag 80
        beg: cyl 612/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 15
The data for partition 2 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 61488, size 555408 (271 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 61/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 611/ sector 63/ head 15
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
bash#

It's partition 2 that I want the file systems on.  (It shows up as a
device: /dev/wd0s3).

But...

bash# disklabel -r /dev/rwd0s3
Bad pack magic number (label is damaged, or pack is unlabeled)
bash#

So my question:  I'm a bit lost as to how I actually get a FreeBSD
filesystem on this slice and create the devices.  I can't quite
understand the manual pages clearly enough to know what to do next.  Can
you please get me pointed in the right direction?

Thank you.

Regards,

Mike Nielsen
miken@zip.com.au