Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 2006 22:34:33 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Will FreeBSD run on an Intel Pentium II with 32MB RAM ??

On Feb 1, 2006, at 10:16 PM, Pranav Peshwe wrote:

> Hello,
>          I have a machine with an Intel Pentium II processor and 32 MB
> of RAM.Will i be able to run FreeBSD 5.4 on it ?
>          I want to use that machine for a very limited purpose i.e as
> a host providing the debugging environment for another machine.I want
> this P II machine for debugging the kernel on another machine (P4
> 2.8Ghz HT) using remote GDB.Will this machine be able to run FBSD 5.4
> with GDB (GNU gdb 6.1.1 configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd" ) ? Will i
> be able to use GDB from emacs (GUD) on this machine ?
>
> TIA.
>
> Regards,
> Pranav

> -----
> The C programming language - a language that combines
> the flexiblity of assembly language with the power of
> assembly language.

	Yes, but it will be horribly slow depending on what applications you
choose to install on it. Especially if you try and rebuild the
system. Perfect for a thin GDB remote client though I would think...
One thing to make sure about though is that you build the kernel for
the P4 with the same options as the P2, as far as optimizations are
concerned since the different generations of the same architecture
differ a bit.
-Garrett