Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:51:27 -0400
From:      "Jason J. Hellenthal" <jasonh@DataIX.net>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "Paul A. Procacci" <pprocacci@datapipe.net>, Luke Dean <LukeD@pobox.com>
Subject:   Re: USB mouse not detected on boot of 7-STABLE

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:16:12 -0700
"Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 14:32:48 -0500
> > From: "Paul A. Procacci" <pprocacci@datapipe.net>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
> >
> > I had the exact same problem.  Not only did my mouse not work on
> > boot-up, neither did my usb cable connecting my machine to my modem.
> > The only solution that I tried was upgrading to 8, and presto, worked fine.
>
> 8.0 has an all new USB stack (thank HPS and a host of others) and it
> ROCKS! Hardware that simply would not work on the old stack is operating
> flawlessly on 8.0-BETA2.
>
> One note if you want to try 8.0. You will probably need to update all of
> your ports to avoid library version mis-matches. Most notably, you need
> to rebuild any port that uses libusb and it is now a standard system
> library. Ports linked against the old ports libusb will not work after
> the upgrade.
>
> I suggest upgrading to 8.0, deleting libusb, and then doing a
> "portupgrade -fa" (or the portmaster equivalent).
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> E-mail: oberman@es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634
> Key fingerprint:059B 2DDF 031C 9BA3 14A4  EADA 927D EBB3 987B 3751

Another workaround may be upgrading to 8.0-* and using sysutils/libchk to parse through all your binaries and libs for discrepancies using script(1) to log the output so you have a reference to look back to. If all else fails you can always resort to the method above if your confidence is not very high on this method. And you can always second guess a port and then reinstall it when or if it gives you problems.

( /usr/bin/script /root/libchk_output /usr/local/sbin/libchk )

This process could actually take much more time and intervention than what is actually needed on some minimal systems so I will let you be the judge for your self on whether this may be right for you.

Best regards.

--
Jason J. Hellenthal
+1.616.403.8065