Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:10:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        jcwells@u.washington.edu
Cc:        fpawlak@execpc.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Andreessen: Linux use growing

On 24 Apr, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Frank Pawlak wrote:
>
>> Pardon the harsh language.  But godamnit this shit pisses me off.  Can't
>> wait till I get some burning issues off my plate and am able get back
>> into the foray, and work on some things to shove that attitude down
>> their collective throats.
>>
>> Wish to hell that these Linux groupies would get their heads out of
>> their asses and realise that the central issue is UNIX vs M$ no matter
>> what flag the various UNIX versions fly.
>
> Linux is in the forefront of the free software crusade. Linux is the
> most visible. We should all cheer the success of Linux.

I agree, Linux is the most visable.  However, there is a very large
segment of the Linux community that would be very happy if we were to
fall off of the free software radar screen.  It is those folks that
stir my ire.  And, it is for the purpose of raising our visability that
I am willing to work on.

> Mr. Andreesen's comments were not antigonistic toward everyone else. He
> was merely stating what he had observed. There is no purpose in being
> angry with him for not acknowledging other unices.

My anger is not directed toward him.  Nor do I agree that he suffers
from a lack of knowledge, especially about the existance of FreeBSD.
His company has a browser that runs on FreeBSD, which by the way is
always listed in the development directories rather than in the
shipping directory on their ftp site.  This indicates to me at least
that it does not rank on a par with their Linux product.  It gives the
appearance that the FreeBSD browser remains as unfinished business
compared to the Linux version.  But this is nit picking...

I agree that Linux can lead the effort, no problem there, but to state
that it is the only alternative to NT jerks my chain the wrong way.  In
my opinion we suffer from a visability problem and the sooner we can
correct that the better.  We clearly have a better server platform than
NT will ever be, if for no other reason than we don't carry any of Dave
Cuttler's baggage.  Now there is some flame bait for ya all :-)

Andreesen is doing what every other good capitalist would, he is
playing to the largest numbers.  It is not a matter of me cutting him
some slack, as much as it is that I'm a fiery person by nature.  And
when something that I am passionate about doesn't get the recognition it
deserves the flames tend to burn hot.

Frank