Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:26:25 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        nesius@europa.com (Robert Nesius)
Cc:        bmah@california.sandia.gov, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mouse

--==_Exmh_543429814P

Hi Rob--

> > Here are my moused-related options from /etc/rc.conf:
> >
> > moused_enable="YES"     # Run the mouse daemon.
> > moused_type="auto"      # See man page for rc.conf(5) for available setting
> s.
> > moused_port="/dev/cuaa0" # Set to your mouse port.
> > moused_flags=""         # Any additional flags to moused.
> >

> With these options, during boot time I get:
> rc.i386 configuring syscons: mousedmoused: unable to open -t: No such
> file or directory.

Hmmm.  I wonder if 2.2.6 processes this section of rc.conf differently than
2.2.7?  Probably not, but I'm not sure why it'd want to open "-t" as a file
(this as you probably figured is the switch that goes in front of
$moused_type).

> > My gut feeling is that the problem lies before this point...for something
> > easier to test, see if "vidcontrol -m on" will give you a text-mode mouse
> > cursor.
>
> I don't get a text-mode mouse.

With the error message above, I wouldn't expect this to work.  :-(

> I get:
> <prompt> /usr/sbin/moused -i all -t auto -p /dev/cuaa0
> /dev/cuaa0 unknown unknown generic
>
> <prompt> /usr/sbin/moused -i all -t logitech -p /dev/cuaa0
> /dev/cuaa0 unknown logitech generic

I'm a little perplexed as to why moused can't figure out the interface type.
It oughta be able to figure out it's a serial device.

> Someone mentioned possible IRQ conflicts.  What's the best way to
> check for these?   I don't use PCs in general.  I've always
> used Unix boxes and Macs.  This is the first box with Intel
> hardware I've had to configure.

When you see the "boot:" prompt (before the FreeBSD kernel loads), type "-c"
to enter boot-time configuration, then "visual" to see the screen-oriented
configuration editor.  Under the "Communications" entry (you might need to
expand it by pressing Return), check to see if either of your serial ports
(sio0 or sio1) has the notation "CONF" next to it.  I think you'd only have a
problem here if there was another device actually found with the same IRQ as
the serial ports (which I think are usually IRQ 4 and IRQ 3 respectively).  I
don't have a lot of experience with PC hardware but an IRQ conflict with a
serial port is something I've not seen yet.

At this point I'm about out of ideas, but hopefully someone with more
experience than me will be able to help.

Good luck!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_543429814P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNjjrkajOOi0j7CY9AQGKWgP/Vebip3VnkxYz29q/9EMIYBe5Hz2/Zi9I
+ZwUbFeig+cRH6M6xt8R5q17yBWCCMsKgu1UpBL4RXmncuNJzQ4SAIKHojIZGV5U
riV5teAG9W2pAvtpNCkvgY8IDCXwUE2JluFUmUy9IFnvYOIC0nfYV8nA7VWnIP8V
U2mG6gfDz78=
=HZua
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_543429814P--