Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 15:55:24 -0700
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        Joachim Isaksson <Joachim.Isaksson@ibfs.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IrDA? PnP?

> 2) If noone has already started it, how should IrDA be implemented?
> I started off thinking of IrDA as a bus, but then I saw something about
> Linux implementing it as a network protocol(?) Still it would to
me make
> sense to implement it as a bus (a'la USB?) with PnP devices, but
I'd rather
> have input on this before doing something terribly silly.
   I don't have much to add to the discussion, but FYI, you can find
info at www.irda.org.  For reasons that escape me, the good folks
working on this elected to duplicate most of the IP functionality
(media layer, network layer, a couple of transports, name resolution,
...) rather than treat the IrDA as a media type (as done, e.g., with
IRtalk by Apple some time back).  Therefore, you get all the
benefits of IP over, say, ATM; that is, a lot of wasted cycles to get
your bits flowing.  One man's opinion, of course :-}

Regards,

Justin
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large *
Institute for General Semantics       |
Manager, CoreOS Networking            |   Men are from Earth.
Apple Computer, Inc.                  |   Women are from Earth.
2 Infinite Loop                       |       Deal with it.
Cupertino, CA 95014                   |