Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 20:01:14 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Roman Katsnelson <romank@graphnet.com>, "q's" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: strange error messages

Roman Katsnelson wrote:

> This's has been going on for a few days now. Every once in a while,
> STDERR will show this:
>
> *date,time* machine-name login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON ttyv2
>
> The thing is, I already know this, because I'm logged in as root on
> ttyv2. These messages are really annoying. Any ideas regarding their
> cause?

The idea is probably that you will be alerted if someone else manages to
log in as root. In  that case, I think you would want to know ...

(wrt your subject header, what makes you think they are error messages?)

If you want to disable them, read /etc/syslog.conf and syslog.conf(5)
and you should be able to.

--
Ben Smithurst : ben@scientia.demon.co.uk : http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/

PGP: 0x99392F7D - 3D 89 87 42 CE CA 93 4C  68 32 0E D5 36 05 3D 16
     http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/ben/pgp-key.html (or use keyservers)