Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:05:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: dump levels/incremental backups

On 29-Sep-00 j mckitrick wrote:
> I think I found enough scripts to help me choose a backup solution.  But I
> have a couple of questions.
>
> Is there some secret to what the 'levels' are in dump?

Not that I know of. Level 0 dumps the lot, level 1 everything changed since
Level 0, level 2 everything changed since level1 etc.

> What is the purpose of the 'Towers of Hanoi' number pattern?

It is a way of reducing the number of tapes needed to restore to get everything
back in business. I make a level 0 every week, and then only consecutive level 1
backups every night. This way I only have to use two tapes to get the system
restored: The level 0 and the last of the level 1's. This is since I can fit a
weeks worth of level 1's on one of my tapes. I use /dev/nrsa0 to get them all on
the same tape.

If your site is busy then using level 2...9 might be neccessary to make it fit
in one tape.

> Is the tar incremental backup simply based on comparing the modification
> times of the existing files to the stored ones?

Dunno this, I only use dump.

> Thanks,
>
> jcm
> --