Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2007 10:39:54 +0200
From:      Albert Shih <Albert.Shih@obspm.fr>
To:        r17fbsd@xxiii.com
Cc:        Sean Murphy <smurphy@calarts.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Virtualization of FreeBSD

 Le 07/06/2007 à 00:09:31-0400, r17fbsd@xxiii.com a écrit
>  At 07:45 PM 6/6/2007, Sean Murphy wrote:
> > Is anyone running virtualization of FreeBSD servers on VMware or other
> > virtualization software?  What experiences have you had, good or bad?
>
>  Been wanting to ask the same...  I've heard of virt' software for some time
>  but didn't realize what it could really do.  Then on a tip, I started
>  playing with micros$$ts Virtual PC a couple weeks ago.  Wow!  It runs
>  windoze 2000 and FreeBSD apparently fine on a windoze 2000 host.  In the
>  last couple weeks I've been doing a lot of experimentation with FreeBSD and
>  Samba and windoze that I've been procrastinating about for lack of a spare
>  box to run things on.  Very impressive for free stuff from the evil empire
>  :)
>
>  But from what I've heard, VMware has better performance.  And there are some
>  things in ports (qemu?) also.  For my purposes Billy's product is working
>  well, but I'd like to hear of better things, esp those that run on windoze,
>  which I'm stuck with for my desktop boxen.
>

>From many years I've running perfectly many FreeBSD guest on a vmware-linux
host.

I've no problem. Every thing is rock-stable. Something you need to known :

1/ vmware (and Virtual PC) said there Virtual System can run any x86 OS.
It's not true. Sometime you need a new version of vmware-software to run a
new version of the Linux/FreeBSD.

2/ vmware have release a free version of vmware-server, try and you can
known ;-)

3/ vmware software run on Linux/Windows, but the guest can be «anything»
(see point 1)

4/ You loose only 5-10% on CPU performance on a guest.

5/ You loose much much more on the I/O disk performance, for production
it's good idea to have a very high speed disk on the host.

In my point of vue vmware is very fine thing for running many OS
(different) on same computer.

If you want run only FreeBSD, you can use jail technologie (man jail) it's
very different technics (you have only one kernel for many instance of
FreeBSD).

Regards.

--
Albert SHIH