Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 01:08:48 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "Mike C. Muir" <mmuir@es.co.nz>, Sebastien ROCHE <sr@sxb.bsf.alcatel.fr>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: occasional reboots

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <3925B5E2.6C3828FF@3-cities.com> Kent Stewart writes:
> : If you feel lucky, build XFree86 3.3.6 from the Ports. In the middle I
> : cooked an overclocked 300a. It melted the heat transfer pad.
>
> That's bad, right :-)

hehehehehehe  Well, it sure didn't run very long after that. I had
never seen the heat transfer pad on a heat sink melt before.  The
interesting part was that you could tell where the Celeron was
generating most of the heat. That was sort of like watching a Cray 2
boil the florinert (?sp) (the liquid the cpu was immersed in). You
could always tell what part of the system was being used by following
the bubbles.

One of the old Fijitsu 1GB scsi drives had an air flow requirement of
so many feet/second of air flow. The fan died and the drive case metal
turned blue just before the drive died. I never thought of an HD
getting that hot. I am not sure what got hotter the HD or the Celeron.

Kent

> Warner

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA