Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:28:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        onlinemixes@orcon.net.nz (David Tomic)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's on each FreeBSD 5.3 (i386) disc?

> I want to install FreeBSD for the i386 architecture...there are 4 ISOs:
>
> 5.3-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso
> 5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
> 5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso
> 5.3-RELEASE-i386-miniinst.iso
>
> a) If I just burn the disc1 ISO image to a CD is that enough for a
> standard install?

Yes.    It has the installer and binary packages for the system and
some of the most popular ports.   But, if you install over the net
which you might want to do it you have a decent connection you only
need to download and burn the miniinst.iso.   It will do the complete
install and it allows you to choose to load the sources and ports, etc
via ftp.
It works well for me.

> b) what's on disc 2 - ports?

More stuff and a system runable from the CD boot (eg not just install).

> c) what is the 'bootonly' disc for?

I haven't tried to use that one yet.
It is fairly recent in the collection - maybe starting with 5.xxx.
Maybe it is a new type of live system on CD.

////jerry