Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 11:59:49 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Tomasz Koziara <toko@space.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gcc upgrade

--tjCHc7DPkfUGtrlw

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 06:59:59PM +0200, Tomasz Koziara wrote:
> Hi everybody
>=20
> I would like to upgrade form gcc-29.5.4 to gcc-33.
> Old gcc comes with FreeBSD as "native" compiler
> and is not registerd as eny installed package.
> Is it reasonable just to type "make all install clean"
> in gcc-33 port directiry ? Will I need to upgrade
> my c and c++ libs ( or meaby the will be upgraded
> as dependencies ? ). Generally - how to do
> all that stuff properly - not to cose a gloal mess
> in my system ? I have few projects in development
> at the time and only a smart chunk of code needs
> newer version of GCC. Probably, I could get by
> somhow in case - upgradeing would be to
> paintfull. Thanks for Your hints.

The output of gcc 3.3 for c++ code is not compatible with c++ binaries
from older compilers.  Therefore you cannot mix-and-match c++ code,
but other C code should be ok.

You also cannot compile the base system (make world/kernel) with the
newer gcc because it won't work (there were changes required to
support it in 5.0-CURRENT).

Kris

--tjCHc7DPkfUGtrlw

--tjCHc7DPkfUGtrlw--