Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:36:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@alcnet.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   support for larger memory

  Time and time again we have all seen people get bit in the rear because
BSDI compatibility was broken. Broken for a good cause, mind you, because
FreeBSD seemed to lose a little of that "power to serve" when it died
horribly on newer servers :)
  So, the good news is, we can now support large memory configurations
(and I recall that 4G might not be that far off). The bad news is, the
fairly decent number of programs which are available for BSDI but not
FreeBSD won't run on FreeBSD now.

  Anyway, we all know that. But what I would like to know is: how does
BSDI support large memory configurations? I'm confused on how it is that
the $1000+ commercial BSD derivative can't handle running on newer
servers (although it is pleasing to think a $0 BSD derivative can :) )
Surely, this cannot be the case, though.

  So, I'm curious, why is it that we needed to break BSDI compatibility in
order to support large memory configurations. It would seem that the two
shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

  Thanks,

  Kelly
 ~kbyanc@posi.net~