Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:40:39 +0100
From:      Matt <matt@xtaz.co.uk>
To:        Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports and -current

Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

> Oh I see. Thats a reason. If I only knew about that freeze before my
> "pkg_delete -a".... but that's just my problem
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Harry

I unfortunatly did the same thing. I wanted to upgrade to gnome 2.4 and
seeing as this box really doesn't have any ports installed other than X
and gnome I just ran pkg_deinstall -Ofa and started from scratch
installing x11/XFree86-4 and x11/gnome2. Then realised that that may
have been a bad thing when devel/pwlib failed to compile with -pthread
issues.

Normally I am quite patient and will spend time fixing stuff, I knew how
to change -pthread into ${PTHREAD_LIBS} etc but being in a 80x25 text
console at the time with no working window manager I took the easy route
out and cvsup'd to before the pthread commits instead. Installed gnome2
which went no problems.

I will now just wait till after the 4.9 port freeze is over before going
back to the current -current level.

It's the first time I've been "bitten" as such by running -current on my
desktop, but hey. That's what running -current is all about :)

Keep up the good work, I look forward to 5.2!

Matt.