Date:      Sat, 5 Sep 2015 20:37:41 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook - Typo in Pre-Installation

On Sat, 5 Sep 2015, Allan Jude wrote:

> On 2015-09-05 20:11, Ali Ghahraei wrote:
>> Good afternoon.
>>
>> I just wanted to inform you about an error in the handbook (or at least I
>> think it is one). In "Pre-Installation Tasks" there is a command for
>> burning disk images, but it currently is:
>>
>> # dd if=*FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img* of=/dev/*da0* bs=1m conv=sync
>>
>> And I think it should be:
>>
>> # dd if=*FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img* of=/dev/*da0* bs=1M conv=sync
>>
>> With a capital m in bs. This is because I tried to use the command and it
>> returned dd: invalid number: '1m'.
>>
>> I apologize if my English is not too good, but I'm not from an English-speaking
>> country. I send you this message because I wanted to help you. I hope it is
>> useful :)
>
> Only the Linux utilities are sensitive to the case of the unit, but yes,
> we should change it in the documentation.

The device name will not be correct on Linux, either.  That is a
FreeBSD-specific command.  We could add a Linux variation, but it ought
to explain how to determine the correct device to write.

Incidentally, we should test using conv=sync,noerror,sparse.  The last
one in particular could make writing memory sticks faster.