Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2008 14:59:48 -0800
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        lev@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        thinker@branda.to, don@na.rim.or.jp, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>, autrijus@autrijus.org
Subject:   Re: Request for comments: revamped `devel/subversion' with true bindings sub-ports (not mere `set option and build everything' like now)

On Feb 03, 2008, at 01:10 , Lev Serebryakov wrote:

> Hello, freebsd-ports.
>
>  I've revamped `devel/subversion*' ports (and add
> `devel/subversion-java') to support building all four bindings (Perl,
> python, ruby, javahl) with installed libraries. So, all binding ports
> really build bindings and depends on `devel/subversion'.

Good work!

However (there's always a however :) - would it be possible to further
extend this to subversion-client and subversion-server (the latter
having all the web stuff, and the former just having the basic clients).

As things stand right now, when rolling out localized package sets for
large numbers of machines, you have to go through all kinds of hoops
in order to not have apache (or whatever) on every machine that needs
subversion.

Compare this, for example, with postgresql*-{client,server}, mysql*-
{client,server}, openldap*-{client,server}, where it's only necessary
to have the server portions on those boxes that, well, run the
servers, with *-client being installed everywhere.

-aDe