Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 2008 14:54:55 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-bluetooth@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bluetooth USB dongles

Vladimir Botka wrote:
 > Iain Hibbert wrote:
 > > the vast majority of USB dongles will work just fine
 > >
 > > if you are buying something, there are different selling points that
 > > can be confusing.
 > >
 > > Class 1       - 100m range
 > > Class 2       - 10m range
 > > Class 3 - 1m range
 > >
 > > I've never seen a class 3 device, and although I do have a class 1
 > > controller it doesn't seem to make much difference as to signal
 > > quality at close range (I guess its just more powerful radio).

The device I'm going to use is class 2, so I guess it's
sufficient to buy a class 2 controller.  In order to be
able to support the 100m range, both device _and_ controller
have to be class 1, I assume.  (Please correct me if I'm
wrong.)

 > > Then there is Bluetooth version, so you might see
 > >
 > > v1.0b
 > > v1.2
 > > v2.0 + EDR
 > > v2.1 + EDR
 > >
 > > If you see a v1.x device for sale then don't be tempted. v2.x devices
 > > are vastly better at making and maintaining connections, and the
 > > 'Enhanced Data Rate' gives much faster transfers. I've not seen a
 > > v2.1 dongle in the real world though they may exist (ditto for v2.2
 > > as spec is availabe)
 > >
 > > I have seen (recently!) a v1.0b device advertised as "BLUETOOTH CLASS
 > > 2" with the v1.0b in really small writing on the case, I guess that
 > > these are old stock dressed up to sell rather than new manufactures
 > > but its good to be aware :)

Thanks Iain for the explanations.  That's very helpful.
Indeed I noticed there are still 1.x dongles offered for
sale.  Good thing you warned me.

 > I can recommend "cambridge silicon radio". The best choice up till now.

Thanks Vladimir for the suggestion.  Unfortunately it is
difficult to find a product by chipset name.  Most online
shops don't list such technical details, and even the
manufacturers' web sites don't mention it.

After some searching, I finally ordered a "LogiLink Ultra
Mini Bluetooth 2.0 USB Adapter BT0007".  According to the
manufacturer's web page it is Bluetooth V2.0 with 20m
range (so I assume it's class 2, even though they don't
mention this), and they even say that the chipset is "CSR"
(which I assume means cambridge silicon radio).

Surprisingly this little fella is so small it seems to
almost completely disappear inside the USB slot.
Amazing.  What's even better, it costs only 6 Euros.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions!

Best regards
   Oliver

"Python tricks" is a tough one, cuz the language is so clean. E.g.,
C makes an art of confusing pointers with arrays and strings, which
leads to lotsa neat pointer tricks; APL mistakes everything for an
array, leading to neat one-liners; and Perl confuses everything
period, making each line a joyous adventure <wink>.
        -- Tim Peters